Sunday, February 2, 2014

A Breakfast Revolution

Back in the old Commie days of the USSR we would come down to "take the breakfast" and find stale black bread, wilted old cucumbers, cold fat-riddled pork parts, lukewarm over-steeped bitter black tea and maybe, if we were lucky, hard boiled eggs that didn't smell bad. Sometimes they would hand out menus but would quickly advise that most foods were not available. That has certainly changed. Our breakfast buffet is a virtual cornucopia of fresh food. And good coffee too! You gotta love the driftwood and river rocks. This is only one of 5 islands of food. Fresh bread, croissants, fresh fruit, a plethora of fruit juices, crudités, cereals, smoked salmon, cheeses . . . . and, of course, cold pork parts.



However, old habits die slowly. Scott Hamilton, a veteran of many Soviet skate event breakfasts still brought along his own larder . . . . flaxseed infused oatmeal hasn't quite made it here yet.




On the flip side, 1998 Olympic Gold Medalist Tara Lipinski is joyful that the buffet includes whole wheat flakes infused with chocolate chips! A Brave New World indeed. Our own Sandra Bezic, a veteran of the Sapporo Olympics loves the omelet bar. Behind her is the lovely Svetlana who cooks 4 omelets, blinis and waffles simultaneously. Incredibly there is pure Vermont Maple syrup available.

Until the competition starts we will take our dinners here as well. There is a decent Italian restaurant in the basement. There are no other restaurants in the vicinity. But there has already been a glitch or two. Last night I ordered a rocket (arugula) salad. It arrived without the rocket. When I advised the waiter he told me that they didn't have any more rocket. Lettuce would have to suffice. I guess some things never change completely.

But along with the food revolution, two great old Soviet sentences seemed to have disappeared from the common lexicon. Nowadays the Russians are much happier people. But I do miss people saying: "Eeeet is NOT possible" and "Sorry, that is forbidden."

They genuinely want us to like them. They want us to like their country. They are proud of the New Order.



The day has dawned bright yet mysterious. Even the view toward Chechnya from my balcony looks inviting.

A note from last night. As I drifted toward sleep at about 9:00 pm there was a series of explosions. Running to my window I saw the laborers in the camp below streaming out of their dorm rooms. Holy shit, I thought, this is it. I waited for the sirens. Then more explosions. To much paranoia! They were testing the fireworks for the Opening Ceremony.

Tonight we can watch the Super Bowl in the hotel bar . . . Kickoff is 3:30 am.

As a final note, today's picture of the day is from my bathroom . . . proof that Capitalism reigns supreme. Never have I seen advertising on toilet paper. That's -30-



3 comments:

  1. Regarding tp, remind me to tell you the Daniel Dixon story regarding Mrs. Zellerbach and her toilet paper campaign back in his Mad Men days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for make this so interesting for all. Your point of view to me is the best and the most realistic. Have you seen and read John Gonzolaz's posts. Started out more postcard then he got real. But he is in the mountains after all.
    You are my hero! Hi to your breakfast buddies!xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.A fantastic presentation. Very open and informative.You have beautifully presented your thought in this blog post. Mens steel rings

    ReplyDelete