Friday, February 14, 2014

Hava Nagila

The little blimp outside my balcony floats lazily in the breeze looking like it could be advertising a used car sale in El Segundo. Upon further review I can see a camera mount dangling below the white balloon. It’s a real Spy Cam which must be monitoring the border with the Republic of Georgia (Abkhazia). Stalin was born over yonder but these days the Russians don't trust a lot Georgian exports (Wine and Champagne excepted). 

The little blimp is the first line of defense in the Ring of Steel. So far so good, in the security department for these Games. We’ve reached the halfway point and all seems calm.

My cathartic moments continue. I took a detour on my way to skating yesterday and, yet again, ended up in the NeverNeverLand of my past. Uncle Big Al, like he has for more than 50 years, made a Big Brother demand.

“Hey clown, meet me in the lobby at 4:00. We’re going to the hockey game. Don’t make up some doody about another worthless meeting. You’ll have plenty of time before skating starts. Be there!”

The hockey fixation began when we were kids. Both of our birthdays fell during the NHL season. I have sweet memories of those days with our dad. Dinner at Toots Shor’s followed by the Rangers at the Garden. We didn't care much about birthday cake. We wanted Andy Bathgate, Lou Fontinato, Dean Prentice and Gump Worsley. Sometimes we would get lucky and see the evil Bruins or the exotic Montreal Canadiens come in. After the game we would be thrilled when fights broke out in the stands. It was good consolation if our beloved Rangers lost.

As we know, Uncle Big Al’s voice is etched in Olympic Hockey History. His words are iconic. But last night we were just a couple of bums watching USA vs Slovakia.

We sat there together as we have sat at countless Rangers, LA Blades and LA Kings games. In the old days he would always buy the official program and a pencil. He doesn’t want to watch a game “un-armed.” Nothing had changed. Last night he had printed out his own rosters with all the salient information.

If you told us when were just two kids from Brooklyn that someday we would be sitting in Russia watching a hockey game hearing Hava Nagila on the organ surrounded by thousands of clapping Russians you would have been declared insane.

So there we were, in one of life's sublime moments. Just my brother and I and a lifetime of memories. We were just watching a hockey game. Just two bums from Brooklyn still acting like a couple of rascals in our old age.

So what if it was a crappy game.

Later that night I lost a 1000 ruble bet to Sam Flood, the Producer of Uncle Big Al’s show. With my Russian cultural and historical background I should have known better. Too often I follow my heart and not my head. And if you’ve followed this Blog I might have taken a cue from my own words . . . Things here are NEVER as they appear.

As much as I’m a dreamer, Sam is pragmatic. The bet was simple . . . . Would Evgeny Plushenko of Russia skate in the Men’s competition. At age 31, after multiple knee and back surgeries, the greatest Russian single skater in history had already helped his team win the Skating Team Gold Medal. He was now poised to skate in Men’s singles in front of an adoring Russian crowd. As we headed toward his warm-up and Plushenko was in costume, I was confident that I had vanquished nasty Sam and won the money for the Dreamer Team. For more than 20 years Sam and I have had a playful competition over which force was more powerful, head or heart.

I sent him a text asking that he give the 1000 Rubles to Uncle Big Al tonight.

Not 10 seconds later my heart sank. Uh, oh! Our ace backstage cameraman Mike Brown brought the sad pictures into the truck. Plushenko’s coach Alexei Mishin had motioned Mike to come over. With his finger he outlined the newest scar on Plushenko’s spine and gave a Russkie shrug.

Sam had conceded at this point but I had to confess in the next text to Sam . . . It ain’t over until the music starts.

I’m always excited when our NBC cameramen get the amazing shots that the rest of the world will never see. But as Brownie, WooMan, Gary Damaro and Mr Andy continued to chronicle this piece of Russian theater backstage. I knew I had lost.

Plushenko took the ice in warm-up, attempted a Triple Axel and then grimaced in pain. It then played out like it was scripted. Plushenko conferred with Coach Mishin and then, when he was announced, skated over to the referee and withdrew.

Earlier in the week I told his agent Ari Zacharian and Coach Mishin that NBC would make Plushenko a real hero on TV. I’ve known these characters for a long time and they know I’ve always given the Russians a fair shake. In Vancouver we had made Plushenko a villain, but a lovable villain. Ari loved that. But this time America would truly understand him.

About an hour after Plushenko pulled out, the text to the WooMan came in from Agent Zacharian.

“I hope the pictures were good for you.”

Has the Potemkin effect come to Skating too????

(See my Blog post “A Bag of Flaxseed.”)

As a follow-up to earlier escapades, a few people have wondered what it was like to have the fish eat my skin at the Sochi Spa. Access Hollywood producer Steve Harding sent me the definitive picture this afternoon.

Judge for yourself.


9 comments:

  1. Be careful what you put in that bath! Memories of the Garden at 8th Ave and 49th street take me back. Used to take the train in to see the Knicks games. One time there was a High school game before the Knicks- and some big kid from Power Memorial was playing-- named Alcindor - didn't warm up with the others-- just came out and dominated. Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pops, You never cease to amaze me. I love thinking of you and Uncle Big Al as two kids just sitting down to watch a game just for the sheer enjoyment of it. Free of pretense but rich with tradition. I cant wait for more stories and am so glad that I get this window into your experiences in Russia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, it's still never a true hockey game experience until the mostly drunk Islander and Ranger fans in section 309 drop their gloves and tumble down the seat rows entagled in a good fight.

    This is part of my daily ritual now....coffee, email, read DM's blog from Sochi. Can we go 2x a day, please? Other Russo-philes / Olympic nerds need the real deal stories. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David . . .you are too kind! I actually have a Day Job here! I am loving writing the blog. Thanks for the note.

      Delete
    2. Oh...Ok, David. Go produce and direct 2 hours of daily prime time skating...whatever... ;)

      Delete
  4. Had to comment on this one! Between brotherly love and Hava Nagila, I so enjoyed this latest entry as I have all the others. David, you are a wonderful writer and so true to yourself. I feel like I am hanging out with you over there! Thanks for sharing your adventures in Sochi with all your fans and friends back home. With all this great blogging, do you really have time to work over there???? We are watching from Bellingham on our big screen and enjoying the beautiful winter sports! Be Safe, X0X0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great note Kim. The blog keeps me sane. Mornings are a good time to write after we make our plan for the evening. Instead of sitting around worrying about what will happen at night, I can empty my brain of all this stuff.
      Love to Marty. xoxoxoxo

      Delete
    2. I have to chime in as well... I love reading your blog and your thoroughly enjoyable insider view of Sochi. It may keep you sane, but it also makes the games much more captivating and intimate for those of us not fortunate enough to be there in person. Keep 'em coming! Marty

      Delete